Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Time

I broke up with a friend today.

It sucks ... large. And it makes me sad.

It felt like the effort was one sided and it hurt. It was frustrating and maddening and made me want to scream and pull my hair out.

My heart said ... ' now, now ego let's settle down it will all be ok'.

But only it wasn't. And it would never be.

And that is ok.

Now.

But it wasn't yesterday, or the day before that, or the one before that. I waited too often for this friend to just say hello, how are you. They never did. Until it was convenient for them. And then, the words that came out never matched the actions that followed.

Ever.

I stayed married to the friendship far longer than I should have hoping it would change. Begging silently it would change. Praying it would change. I put more darn effort into this friendship than I did my job or learning spanish.

And, sometimes, my family.

I realize and I understand that life moves fast. Before we know it the day is over, the sun has set and it's time to settle in until the sun rises in the morning.

Then we do it all again. And again. And again.

And we forget about the people who thought we would never forget them.



1 comment: