Saturday, May 24, 2014

Meteor Showers

Everyone should do this ...

Just once.

Once; really because who actually wants to set an alarm clock for 2am when you could be warm and snugly in your bed ... sleeping.

I am glad I did though. I woke my daughter and tried to haul my son's ass with us but he was just crawling into bed for the night and didn't feel like it was really up his alley.

We went to the beach.

If you know me, you know the beach and I have a love hate relationship that we have danced our way through for years. I love what the beach offers; the sound of the waves, the salt in the air, the cool breeze coming off the water, the way you can get carried away into your own thoughts in the hopes that clarity is close by.

I hate the sand ... especially when it got into my bathing suit. I hate the way my skin is itchy for hours if I walk to deep into the water. I hate the people.

2am is the perfect time to go to the beach.

The sky is dark and the stars are bright. The sand is cool. The air is cooler. I actually wear a sweatshirt to the beach at night. The people are few and far between, mostly drunk trios or lovers trying to find a dark corner for loverish things.

My mind anticipates the air, the waves, the dark, the stars .... it feels like it takes forever to get there. Even with a tired and chatty teen aged girl as my co-pilot, my heart is pounding at the anticipation .. it's like a first date every.single.time.

We found or spot, spread out or towel and laid in the darkness.

And it was quiet.

And it was beautiful just being.

My mind was quiet and I listened to the story of the waves and watched the clouds dance over head and I realized that for one moment in time; everything was just as it should be.

The meteor shower was really nothing. I am thinking the brightness from the city and the strip was too much for anything to be truly visible. We needed a darker beach.

I did however, see a shooting star or two.

And I made a wish ......

No comments:

Post a Comment